- Family & Advocate Forum will be Tuesday, September 8
- FANS Network planning Goodwill drive
- TARTA services closed Labor Day, Sept. 7; Paratransit Service runs on holiday schedule
- Provider Supports Department publishes its September calendar and newsletter
- FASD virtual forum will be September 25
- Voters forums scheduled on September 30 and October 1
- Podcast focuses on disabilities issues
- Lucas County self-advocate is featured in new Amazon advertisement
- September Aging Gracefully newsletter
- Worth Repeating
1. Family & Advocate Forum will be Tuesday, September 8
The next Family and Advocate Forum with Superintendent Lori Mariucci will be Tuesday, September 8, at 9:30. This will be another virtual Forum via Zoom.
This Forum will feature a special presentation by the League of Women Voters on voting issues for persons with disabilities. There will also be time for questions and answers.
The Forums, held quarterly, are informal discussions in which the Superintendent can share news and information she feels important but also an opportunity for her to here about issues you feel are important. The Forums are open to family members, advocates, providers, and others that are interested in services and supports in Lucas County for persons with development disabilities. Please accept this invitation to attend. For Zoom log on information please email Lon Mitchell.
2. FANS Network planning Goodwill drive
The FANS Network will hold a drive for donations to Goodwill on September 24. Goodwill Industries will then provide vouchers for individuals being served by The Lucas County Board of Developmental Disabilities. The number of vouchers provided will be based on the number of bins filled on this day on behalf of FANS and the Lucas County Board of DD. Click here for complete details.
3. TARTA services closed Labor Day, Sept. 7; Paratransit Service runs on holiday schedule
In observance of Labor Day, the Toledo Area Regional Transit Authority (TARTA) will not run its fixed route and Call-A-Ride services on Monday, Sept. 7, 2020. TARTA’s paratransit service will operate and follow holiday hours of 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Sept. 7.
The Toledo Area Regional Paratransit Service (TARPS) administered by TARTA is available to registered customers who require door-to-door transportation service due to a qualifying disability. The TARPS call center will also be available on Labor Day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 419-382-9901.
TARTA’s bus and paratransit services will resume operation on Tuesday, Sept. 8 at its current modified schedules and routes due to the coronavirus.
TARTA is continuing to be fare-free and requires all passengers to wear a facial covering. For more information about TARTA and TARPS services, visit www.tarta.com.
4. Provider Supports Department publishes its September calendar and newsletter
5. FASD virtual forum will be September 25
6. Voters forums scheduled on September 30 and October 1
Every year, Partners for Inclusion, the Toledo-Lucas County Disabilities Commission, the Board of DD, and the Ability Center sponsor forums using a town hall style format to discuss issues and candidates on the local ballot. This year they will be virtual discussions.
On September 30th the discussion will focus on the two countywide levies – Metroparks and Children Services — and the two income tax issues in Toledo. It will be Wednesday, September 30, from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. via Zoom and on Facebook.
On October 1, the candidates for County Commissioner and Sheriff have been invited to discuss their viewpoints on disabilities issues. Again this discussion will be on Zoom and Facebook.
Follow this link for more information. Circle the dates on your calendar for these important online discussions.
7. Podcast focuses on disabilities issues
The latest episode in our podcast series focuses on voting issues often experienced with individuals with disabilities. The guest is Brett Harbage, the ADA Coordinator for the Ohio Secretary of State. He answers questions about accessibility, whether a person with a disability can have an assistant in the voting booth, and how to file an absentee ballot. Find the podcasts at this link.
8. Lucas County self-advocate is featured in new Amazon advertisement
Lucas County advocate Renee Wood, former chair of the Ohio Developmental Disabilities Council, is featured in a new web advertisement from Amazon that promotes the accessibility of Amazon Alexa.
9. September Aging Gracefully newsletter
10. Worth Repeating
“There is only one who is all powerful, and his greatest weapon is love.” -Stan Lee