- Voting information presented by League of Women Voters
- FANS Network planning Goodwill drive
- Voters forums scheduled on September 30 and October 1
- Courageous Services seeking award nominations
- Video guides you through the website
- Unified Virtual Sports with the University of Toledo
- Direct Support Professionals Week
- Worth Repeating
1. Voting information presented by League of Women Voters
At the most recent Family and Advocate Forum, hosted by Superintendent Lori Mariucci, Barb Colvin from the local chapter of the League of Women Voters discussed voter information for individuals with disabilities. Watch her presentation by taking this link. You can download your copy of the voter information card referenced in the video by clicking here.
2. FANS Network planning Goodwill drive
The FANS Network will hold a drive for donations to Goodwill on September 24. Goodwill Industries will then provide vouchers for individuals being served by The Lucas County Board of Developmental Disabilities. The number of vouchers provided will be based on the number of bins filled on this day on behalf of FANS and the Lucas County Board of DD. Click here for complete details.
3. Voters forums scheduled on September 30 and October 1
Every year, Partners for Inclusion, the Toledo-Lucas County Disabilities Commission, the Board of DD, and the Ability Center sponsor forums using a town hall style format to discuss issues and candidates on the local ballot. This year they will be virtual discussions.
On September 30th the discussion will focus on the two countywide levies – Metroparks and Children Services — and the two income tax issues in Toledo. It will be Wednesday, September 30, from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. via Zoom and on Facebook.
On October 1, the candidates for County Commissioner and Sheriff have been invited to discuss their viewpoints on disabilities issues. Again this discussion will be on Zoom and Facebook.
Follow this link for more information. Circle the dates on your calendar for these important online discussions.
4. Courageous Services seeking award nominations
Courageous Community Services is seeking nominations for its annual awards to recognize an individual or organization in our community that has had a significant impact on the lives of individuals with disabilities in the following categories:
- Outstanding Community Service: This award is being presented to an individual or company who is committed to the community and takes the initiative and the ingenuity to forge forward and inspire others to benefit the lives of individuals with disabilities.
- Outstanding Employer: This award is being presented to an employer who has significantly improved or enhanced the access or inclusion of individuals with disabilities in the workforce.
- Outstanding Self Advocate: This award is being presented to an individual who is involved in resolving disability-related concerns, research, general awareness, and other activities that have enhanced their own life along with the lives of other individuals who have a disability.
Nomination narratives should be submitted via email to to email@example.com by October 16, 2020.
5. Video guides you through the website
Click here to view a short video that guides you through the Board of DD website, so you can find the information and features you seek.
6. Unified Virtual Sports with the University of Toledo
7. Direct Support Professionals Week
Direct Support Professionals are the backbone of the provider network. Through their dedication, creativity, advocacy and boundless energy, our DSPs ensure people with disabilities have the necessary supports to live, work, and enjoy life more as independently as possible in the community!
8. Worth Repeating
“We must maintain the integrity of the White House, and that integrity must be real, not transparent. There can be no whitewash at the White House.” –Richard Nixon
The Friday Update is published on Friday mornings by Lon Mitchell, Public Information Manager of the Lucas County Board of Developmental Disabilities. You may subscribe by sending us your email address. You may also read the Friday Update on the Board website and on the mobile app