The Friday Update is published on Friday mornings by Lon Mitchell, Public Information Manager of the Lucas County Board of Developmental Disabilities. You may subscribe by sending your email address. You may also read the Friday Update on the Board website and on the mobile app.
- Board receives three-year accreditation
- Summary of the most recent Family & Advocate Forum
- Job Postings
- You can receive free text message alerts from Board of DD
- Sibshops start October 26
- Alert: Suicide Prevention
- Community Sensory Room posts October hours
- Aging Gracefully newsletter
- Unified Flag Football begins October 6
- Upcoming events for the Developmental Disabilities community
- Worth Repeating
1. Board receives three-year accreditation
After a recent compliance review by the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities, the Lucas County Board of DD has received a three-year term of accreditation. This is the highest term awarded. The review ensures compliance with state and federal rules.
2. Summary of the most recent Family & Advocate Forum
Click here for a summary from the most recent Family and Advocate Forum with Superintendent Lori Mariucci. A lot of important information is shared at these meetings. These meetings are also an opportunity for you to ask questions and discuss current topics of importance with the developmental disabilities community.
Meetings are open to providers, family members and advocates so please invite a friend you know who is also interested in our DD Community. Meetings are held at the Administration Building, 1154 Larc Lane, Toledo, 43614. The next forum is Tuesday, November 12th at 9:30 a.m.
3. Job Postings
To stay up-to-date on job openings with the Lucas County Board of DD, follow this link.
Josina Lott Residential and Community Services is currently hiring DSP’s all shifts, Adult Day Specialist, Recreation Specialist, and a Human Resource Coordinator. All are full time positions. To apply online click here.
4. You can receive free text message alerts from Board of DD
You can sign up to receive text messages from the Lucas County Board of DD by sending this message to 40404: follow LucasDDAlert
5. Sibshops start October 26
Sibshops, sponsored by the Autism Society, are for 8 to 16 year old brothers and sisters who have a sib with special needs. Read the flyer for more information.
6. Alert: Suicide Prevention
People with developmental disabilities are at a higher risk for suicide. Knowing the warning signs for suicide and how to get help can save lives. Read DODD’s latest Health Alert.
7. Community Sensory Room posts October hours
Here is the October calendar for the free sensory stimulation room at Finnegan Family Autism Center.
8. Aging Gracefully newsletter
The Aging Gracefully newsletter for October is at this link.
9. Unified Flag Football begins October 6
10. Upcoming events for the Developmental Disabilities community
October 9 – Medicaid Managed Care Plan Expo
October 15 – Friend Blend
October 17 – People First
October 18 – Halloween Dinner Bash
November 1 – Anne Grady Center Enchanted Evening
11. Worth Repeating
“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
Please share the Friday Update with others you know who have an interest in our DD community.