The Friday Update is published on Friday mornings by Lon Mitchell, Public Information Manager of the Lucas County Board of Developmental Disabilities. You may subscribe by sending your email address. You may also read the Friday Update on the Board website or on the mobile app.
- Follow the Journey of People Served by County Boards of DD
- Finance staff participate in service project at Ronald McDonald House
- Job and Family Services to expand office hours beginning June 3
- Have you downloaded our mobile app?
- Accessibility issues will be included in restaurant reviews
- iDance launches new programs
- Ability Center publishes Annual Report
- Save the date for the upcoming gala!
- DD Council recruiting members
- Autism Society publishes summer camp guide
- Upcoming events for the Developmental Disabilities community
- Worth Repeating
1. Follow the Journey of People Served by County Boards of DD
The Ohio Association of County Boards of DD has produced an informative booklet identifies a lifetime of services and supports for Ohioans with developmental disabilities served by county boards of DD. Updated in 2019 for its Fourth Edition, this informative guide also contains basic information about county boards of DD and a glossary of commonly-used acronyms and abbreviations for reference. © 2019 OACBDD.
2. Finance staff participate in service project at Ronald McDonald House
Hats off to staff from the Board’s Finance Department. They bought the food and then they prepared the meal for 30 families residing at the Ronald McDonald house.
3. Job and Family Services to expand office hours beginning June 3
Lucas County Job and Family Services is extending hours of operation to allow the public additional opportunities to have access to services earlier in the morning.
Beginning Monday, June 3, 2019, Job and Family Services, 3210 Monroe St., will be open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
4. Have you downloaded our mobile app?
A great way to keep in touch with the Board of DD and keep up-to-date on activities happening for the DD Community is with our mobile app for your smart phone. On the app you’ll find our latest videos, photos, calendar of events, contact information and more. Plus, when downloading, be sure to allow your smartphone to accept push notifications from the Board. This will allow us to send you the latest information about delays or closings. Click here to enter your phone number and receive a link to the app.
5. Accessibility issues will be included in restaurant reviews
“Never mind what’s on the menu. A number of readers have told me my reviews would be more helpful if I let them know whether they can simply get through the door.” Jessica Weinberg turns us on to the reporter doing restaurant reviews for the Washington Post now including accessibility issues in his reviews. Click here to read the story.
6. iDance launches new programs
Two new programs from iDance:
Register at iDance@bex.net or 419-309-1610.
7. Ability Center publishes Annual Report
Read the Annual Report at this link.
8. Save the date for the upcoming gala!
A recent sports magazine article painted Toledo in the early 20th century as the boom town! Where water met rails. It was a time of prize fighting, gambling and bootlegging. Nickelodeons and the Lindy Hop! It is against this backdrop the first gala to support upcoming levy campaigns will be set. Click here for the Save the Date card.
9. DD Council recruiting members
The Ohio Developmental Disabilities Council is recruiting new membership for the following categories:
- Individual with a developmental disability,
- Parent or guardian of a child with a developmental disability, and
- A representative from a private non-profit organization serving persons with developmental disabilities.
If you are interested in becoming a member, click here for the new member information page. May 31 is the deadline to apply.
10. Autism Society publishes summer camp guide
Schools out and the youngsters are looking for things to do. The Autism Society has published a summer camp guide. Browse the guide at this link.
11. Upcoming events for the Developmental Disabilities community
June 12 – Rec Jam
June 17 – PEAC summer cycling program begins
June 19 – Friend Blend
June 20 – People First Summer Picnic
June 30 – Outdoor Inclusive Adventure
July 9 – Autism Society National Conference
July 12-13 – Arc of Ohio/People First Conference
July 13 – Disc Golf
July 22 – ADA Day at the Zoo
12. Worth Repeating
“If you work harder than somebody else, chances are you’ll beat him though he has more talent than you.” -Bart Starr
Please share the Friday Update with others you know who have an interest in our DD community.