The Friday Update is published on Friday mornings by Lon Mitchell, Public Information Manager of the Lucas County Board of Developmental Disabilities. You may subscribe by sending your email address. You may also read the Friday Update on the Board website or on the mobile app.
- Former Board of DD President Cecelia Peters dies
- Josina Lott Award presented to Tiffany Rozzano
- Department of DD preparing to update the ISP form
- SALUTE self-advocates active
- Have you downloaded our mobile app?
- iDance launches new programs
- ABC pulls the plug on “Speechless”
- Save the date for the upcoming gala!
- May is Mental Health Awareness Month
- Ability Center seeking Director of Life Skills
- Upcoming events for the Developmental Disabilities community
- Worth Repeating
1. Former Board of DD President Cecelia Peters dies
Funeral services will be Friday, May 17, for former Board of DD President Cecelia Peters at 2 p.m. in Third Baptist Church, where the family will receive visitors after 1 p.m. Read The Blade profile story on Dr. Peters.
2. Josina Lott Award presented to Tiffany Rozzano
The Josina Lott recognition in the MUI Unit this year belongs to Tiffany Rozzano, an investigative agent. The award is presented to staff at the Lucas County Board of DD who not only have made outstanding contributions but also remind us about the heritage upon which this program was built. Our history is linked to Mrs. Lott’s first formal program in Lucas County, started in 1938, for persons with developmental disabilities.
3. Department of DD preparing to update the ISP template
4. SALUTE self-advocates active
Individuals interested in becoming more active in self-advocacy is invited to the next meeting of SALUTE, 5:30 p.m. on June 12 at the Lucas County Board of DD Administration Building, 1154 Larc Lane. For more information about SALUTE, watch the video.
5. Have you downloaded our mobile app?
A great way to keep in touch with the Board of DD and keep up-to-date on activities happening for the DD Community is with our mobile app for your smart phone. On the app you’ll find our latest videos, photos, calendar of events, contact information and more. Plus, when downloading, be sure to allow your smartphone to accept push notifications from the Board. This will allow us to send you the latest information about delays or closings. Click here to enter your phone number and receive a link to the app.
6. iDance launches new programs
Two new programs from iDance:
Register at iDance@bex.net or 419-309-1610.
iDance is seeking a Development Assistant to support the Executive Director and Development Committee to plan, develop, and maintain a comprehensive fund-raising program. The Development Assistant will provide support essential to the daily functioning and success of the development team. This is a volunteer opportunity. Please visit our website or check out our FaceBook page. You may email your cover letter and resume to: iDance@bex.net.
7. ABC pulls the plug on “Speechless”
The comedy on ABC centering on the experiences of a teenager with a developmental disability and his family is being cancelled. Read more from Disability Scoop.
8. Save the date for the upcoming gala!
A recent sports magazine article painted Toledo in the early 20th century as the boom town! Where water met rails. It was a time of prize fighting, gambling and bootlegging. Nickelodeons and the Lindy Hop! It is against this backdrop the first gala to support upcoming levy campaigns will be set. Click here for the Save the Date card.
9. May is Mental Health Awareness Month
May is the perfect time to remind your neighbors that it’s okay to ask for help. If you, or someone you know, is having a hard time coping or is struggling with mental health issue, there are resources available. The @CrisisTextline provides free, confidential service 24/76 to people in crisis.
10. Ability Center seeking Director of Life Skills
The Ability Center is seeking to fill the position of Director of Life Skills. Click here for the job description.
11. Upcoming events for the Developmental Disabilities community
May 17 – 2019 Ohio Cop on a Rooftop
May 18 – Ability Center Hockey Fundraiser
May 20 – Friend Blend
May 22 – Girls Night Out
May 22 – Social Walking Session Begins
May 29 – Senior Health and Fitness Day
June 12 – Rec Jam
June 17 – PEAC summer cycling program begins
June 30 – Outdoor Inclusive Adventure
July 9 – Autism Society National Conference
July 13 – Disc Golf
July 22 – ADA Day at the Zoo
12. Worth Repeating
“I’ve never met an animal I didn’t like, and I can’t say the same thing about people.” – Doris Day
Please share the Friday Update with others you know who have an interest in our DD community.