The Friday Update is published on Friday mornings by Lon Mitchell, Public Information Manager of the Lucas County Board of Developmental Disabilities. You may subscribe by sending your email address. You may also read the Friday Update on the Board website or on the mobile app.
- Next Family and Advocate Forum is March 12
- Television interview with self-advocate now online
- Self-Advocates meet with local legislators at the Statehouse
- Lucas County Lightning D3 Basketball Team is headed to State Tournament
- Special Olympics spring brochure is out
- Bittersweet summer enrichment returns
- Forum scheduled to discuss gasoline tax and public transit
- Sunshine to hold job fair
- Calamity Day Procedures
- CommUNITY FilmFest celebrates individiduals with disabilities
- Upcoming events for the Developmental Disabilities community
- Worth Repeating
1. Next Family and Advocate Forum is March 12
The next Family and Advocate Forum with Superintendent Lori Mariucci will be Tuesday, March 12, at 9:30 a.m. These forums, scheduled quarterly, are opportunities to meet informally with the Superintendent to discuss current topics of importance to the developmental disabilities community. Invited to attend at family members of persons served by the Board, advocates, providers, and anyone else who is interested in supporting individuals with developmental disabilities. The forum will be held at the Administration Building, 1154 Larc Lane, Toledo 43614.
If you missed Lee Conklin’s interview on 13abc with self-advocate Nate Turner you can find it online at this link.
3. Self-Advocates meet with local legislators at the Statehouse
Meeting with State Representative Michael Sheehy
Members of the self-advocacy group SALUTE participated earlier this week in DD Awareness Day activities at the Ohio Statehouse.
4. Lucas County Lightning D3 Basketball Team is headed to State Tournament
Hats off the Special Olympics Lightning D3 basketball team on their wins at the West Sectional Tournament. The team now heads to Hilliard and the state tournament on March 22.
5. Special Olympics spring brochure is out
6. Bittersweet summer enrichment returns
For over 20 years, Bittersweet’s dynamic Summer Enrichment Program has been serving adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders, ages 12-21. The Summer Enrichment Program offers campers rich and abundant opportunities for self-paced, distraction free, vocational activities that provide immediate meaning and purpose. The Summer Enrichment program is supported by the Lucas County Board of DD. The Summer Enrichment Program focuses on physical engagement such as baking, creative arts, bicycling, dancing, farming, gardening, hiking, memory games, music, nature, puzzles, relays, science projects, sports, swimming, and woodworking. These activities help to develop behavior management, language development, sensory integration, and social skills development for adolescents with autism. At the end of the program, the participants have developed a sense of community, accomplishment, and ownership. For more information contact Steve Mentrek at 419-875-6986, ext. 1211 or by email at email@example.com
7. Forum scheduled to discuss gasoline tax and public transit
Could a percent of any increase in the Ohio gasoline tax be dedicated to public transit? The Ability Center and the Toledo-Lucas County Commission on Disabilities are holding a public forum on the issue March 15, 1:00 to 4:00, at the Rossford Recreation Center, 400 Dixie Highway.
Public transit advocates will discuss the opportunity to designate a portion of Ohio’s Infrastructure Funding (the Gas Tax) to public transit. There will also be a panel of professionals from throughout the community to create a dialogue about what strong public transportation would mean in the Northwest Ohio region. People from throughout Northwest Ohio who rely on public transportation encouraged to attend, as well as those who may be interested in a strong, regional public transit system in our area.
8. Sunshine to hold job fair
An open house and job fair this month will showcase Sunshine Communities’ new family care home in Walbridge, as well as job opportunities at Sunshine throughout Lucas, Fulton and Wood counties. Current openings include Direct Support Professionals, nurses, drivers, and others. The job fair will be held Thursday, March 21 from noon to 3 p.m. at the new family care home, 403 Allen St., Walbridge. For more information about Sunshine’s benefits and other openings: www.sunshine.org/careers.
9. Calamity Day Procedures
Should it be necessary to close Board facilities due to inclement weather the announcement will be posted in several areas.
- Check the Board’s Facebook Page or website.
- The Board will also send information via its mobile app. You can subscribe to the app through Google Play or the Apple App Store.
- Call the Board’s Weather Hotline at 419-380-4040
- The Board will also send closing information to the news media.
10. CommUNITY FilmFest celebrates individiduals with disabilities
Filmmakers and stars walked the red carpet, and many took home honors at the 5th Annual CommUNITY Film Fest. More than 300 people saw the premier of the 14 short films at the Maumee Indoor Theatre Feb. 24. Each of the films starred or were produced by people with developmental disabilities. See who won in this story here in the Maumee Mirror.
11. Upcoming events for the Developmental Disabilities community
March 15 – Forum on Gas Tax and Public Transit
March 19 – Summer Camp Inclusion Resource Fair
March 19 – Guys Group
March 20 – FANS Goodwill Donation Drive
March 21 – People First
March 21 – Giving Back to Yourself workshop
March 22 – Storytime at Educare
March 23 – Pasta for Pooches
March 26 – Exploring the Future of Independence
March 26 – Friend Blend
March 27 – Rec Jam
March 30 – U.T. Songfest to benefit Zepf Center
April 7 – Bowlympics
12. Worth Repeating
“All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me…. You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.”—Walt Disney
Please share the Friday Update with others you know who have an interest in our DD community.