The Friday Update is distributed on Friday mornings by Lon Mitchell, Public Information Manager of the Lucas County Board of Developmental Disabilities. You may subscribe by sending your email address to FridayUpdate@lucasdd.info. You may also read the Friday Update on the Board website or on the mobile app.
- Time again for Unified Basketball
- Schedules posted for Special Olympics basketball
- Dates and speakers set for Special Needs Planning Series
- Change in Leadership at Lucas County Job and Family Services
- Calamity Day Procedures
- Healthy athletes session begins January 29
- Job Postings
- Free sensory room available in December
- Microsoft spotlights adaptive device in TV commercial
- Board of DD 2019 Calendar available for download
- Upcoming activities for the Developmental Disabilities community
- Worth Repeating
1. Time again for Unified Basketball
It’s again time for Unified Basketball at the University of Toledo Recreation Center. Games start on February 3. Click here for more information and registration.
2. Schedules posted for Special Olympics basketball
Schedules for the four Lucas County Special Olympics basketball games are now posted online. Click here!
3. Dates and speakers set for Special Needs Planning Series
The calendar for the 2019 Special Needs Planning Series has been published. Click here. These workshops will help you feel more secure about your child’s future. At each session speakers will present about a special needs planning topic. You’ll also learn about community resources. And there will be plenty of time for questions.
4. Change in Leadership at Lucas County Job and Family Services
Michelle Niedermier, director of Lucas County Job and Family services, is resigning, effective December 14, to take a position with a similar agency in another county in Ohio.
Ms. Niedermier joined the Agency in July of 2005 and served as JFS Deputy Director of Finance and Operations prior to being named interim Director in September of 2016. She was made Director the following January.
Upon Ms. Niedermier’s departure, JFS Deputy Director Breda Osburn will serve as interim director while the Lucas County Commissioners conduct a search for a replacement.
5. Calamity Day Procedures
Should it be necessary to close Board facilities due to inclement weather the announcement will be posted in several areas. You can check the Board’s Facebook Page or website. The Board will also send information via its mobile app. You can subscribe to the app through Google Play or the Apple App Store. The Board will also send closing information to the news media.
6. Healthy athletes session begins January 29
Lucas County Special Olympics is working with the University of Toledo Office of Recreational Services to present another Healthy Athletes session. Health Athletes is a program designed to improve health and fitness. The program is now 10 weeks and all sessions will be held at the University of Toledo
There is no cost, but the session is limited to 15 participants. Find out more about the program.
7. Job Postings
If you are a provider seeking employees, we would like to help. Send an email with the details. We’ll be happy to include the information in the next Friday Update email. The following providers are currently seeking employees.
The Down Syndrome Association of Greater Toledo is seeking a Program and Volunteer Coordinator.
Down Syndrome Assoc.
8. Free sensory room available in December
Did you know there is a free sensory room resource for children with special needs and their siblings? It’s located at the Finnegan Family Autism Center on Central Avenue in Toledo. December schedule.
9. Microsoft spotlights adaptive device in TV commercial
Microsoft is touting one of its latest adaptive offerings with a national television advertisement featuring a boy with a disability and his friends. Read more by clicking here.
10. Board of DD 2019 Calendar available for download
The 2019 Board of DD Calendar is available at any Board facility. But you may also download it. Click here.
11. Upcoming activities for the Developmental Disabilities community
February 2 – Prom for people with disabilities (18 and older)
February 8 – Dinner Dance
February 24 – CommUNITY Film Fest
March 19 – Summer Camp Inclusion Resource Fair
12. Worth Repeating
“Sometimes you cannot see yourself clearly until to see yourself through the eyes of others.” -Ellen DeGeneres