The Friday Update is published on Friday mornings by Lon Mitchell, Public Information Manager of the Lucas County Board of Developmental Disabilities. You may subscribe by sending your email address. You may also read the Friday Update on the Board website and on the mobile app.
- Partners for Inclusion annual banquet will be September 17
- Family Ice Cream Social a big success
- New photos from the Summer Games now online
- Reservations can now be made for the Speakeasy Gala
- Think you might want to try golf?
- Job Postings
- Health Alert: Transportation, Wheelchair Safety
- Courageous Family Services seeking volunteers
- Funding available for home modifications
- Registration now underway for STIR training
- Upcoming events for the Developmental Disabilities community
- Worth Repeating
1. Partners for Inclusion annual banquet will be September 17
The guest speaker for the annual Partners for Inclusion Awards and Scholarship Banquet will be local historian Tedd Long. On his well-known history blog, Tedd has updated his biography of Josina Lott. Here’s a wonderful opportunity to learn more about Mrs. Lott and her impact on Toledo history as well as some other fascinating accounts from our past. The banquet will be September 17 at Premiere Banquet Hall. To reserve seats send your name, phone number, and email address to Partners for Inclusion, 1154 Larc Lane, Toledo, OH 43614. Enclose payment of $35 per person attending. For more information you may contact Lon Mitchell at 419-380-4048.
2. Family Ice Cream Social a big success
The recently held Family Ice Cream Social, hosted by the Board of DD Children’s Department, was a big success. Here are a few scenes:
3. New photos from the Summer Games now online
Check out the Lucas County Special Olympics web page for some new photos from the State Summer Games.
4. Reservations can now be made for the Speakeasy Gala
You may now make reservations for the Speakeasy Gala, October 5, to raise money for a future levy campaign. While we are not ready to go for a levy now, it’s necessary to make sure the levy committee has the necessary financial resources when the time comes. The Gala, to be held at Premiere Banquet Hall, will be a night of fun, music, dancing, prizes and more fun. You will magically be transported to a speakeasy where we can party like its 1925.
To find out more about the Gala click on to the website, where you can also make your reservations.
5. Think you might want to try golf?
The First Tee of Lake Erie, the City of Toledo, Detwiler Park Golf Course and the Lucas County Board of Developmental Disabilities, invites anyone eligible for Lucas County Board of Developmental Disability services, of any age, to participate in a FREE Golf Clinic! Michael Prothe, of The First Tee, will be there to help you learn the basics of golf on the Detwiler putting green and you will get to play a couple of holes of golf!
When: Saturday, September 21, 2019, 11am – 1pm.
Where: Detwiler Park Golf Course: 4001 N Summit St.
All equipment is provided!! Limited to 10 participants!!!
Please RSVP to Mary Beth Olender at 419-380-5141 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Job postings
- Open positions at the Lucas County Board of DD are updated at this link.
- Triad Residential Services has an opening for a shift supervisor.
7. Health Alert: Transportation, Wheelchair Safety
Learn safety precautions for securing wheelchairs in vehicles and how to properly transport someone with a disability in this new Health Alert from the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities. Click here to read,
8. Courageous Family Services seeking volunteers
Courageous Family Services is seeking volunteers for its annual Poker Run on August 24th. For more information, click here.
9. Funding available for home modifications
The Ability Center currently has funding for homeowners living in Lucas County needing home modifications through the Community Development Block Grant. Projects may include ramps, stair lifts, and grab bars. Residents must be homeowners living in Lucas County and not within the city of Toledo. Applicants must meet income requirements.
Contact The Ability Center at 419-885-5733 to request an application.
10. Registration now underway for STIR training
Registration is underway for the upcoming STIR (Steps Toward Independence and Responsibility) training. The training will be sponsored by the Lucas County Board of DD and SALUTE (Self-Advocates LUcasTolEdo). Click here for all details.
11. Upcoming events for the Developmental Disabilities community
August 14 – Friend Blend
August 15 – People First
August 15 – Fundraiser for Human Trafficking Coalition
August 19 – Guys & Girls Night Out
August 24 – Courageous Community Services Poker Run
August 28 – Rec Jam
September 17 – Partners for Inclusion Annual Banquet
September 26 – FANS Goodwill Donation Drive
October 9 – Medicaid Managed Care Plan Expo
12. Worth Repeating
“If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, you must be the one to write it.” -Toni Morrison
Please share the Friday Update with others you know who have an interest in our DD community.