The Friday Update is published on Friday mornings by Lon Mitchell, Public Information Manager of the Lucas County Board of Developmental Disabilities. You may subscribe by sending your email address. You may also read the Friday Update on the Board website or on the mobile app.
- CommUNITY FilmFest is February 24
- Board of DD continues to expand its Internet presence
- TV discussion focuses on Getting Ahead in the Workplace
- Sensory Room February schedule is released
- Former Board of DD member Mary Girgis-Hanna dies
- ADAI to host “Pasta for Pooches” Fundraiser
- Developmental checklists are on the Board of DD website
- Celebrate DD Awareness Month with the Cavaliers and The Arc of Ohio
- Calamity Day Procedures
- Emojis with disabilities – a step for inclusion
- Cheap and Chic Event to Benefit Zepf Center March 2
- Upcoming events for the Developmental Disabilities community
- Worth Repeating
1. CommUNITY FilmFest is February 24
The fifth annual CommUNITY FilmFest will be February 24th at the Maumee Indoor Theater., 2:00 to 5:00. Erin Holden wrote a really nice article about the FilmFest in a recent edition of Toledo City Paper. Read the story here.
2. Board of DD continues to expand its Internet presence
Not only do we add subscribers to our Friday Update email newsletter each week, the Lucas County Board of DD is also expanding its presence elsewhere on the Internet.
- We continue to add subscribers to our Facebook page;
- You will also find us on Instagram;
- Our mobile app for smartphones, available from Google Play and the Apple App Store, is constantly being updated and offers breaking news alerts;
- The website is a source of information about the Board and Developmental Disabilities and contains all our recent videos; and
- Get free news alerts by to your smartphone by texting to 40404 follow LucasDDAlert.
3. TV discussion focuses on Getting Ahead in the Workplace
Debt, family tensions, work stress – those are the challenges that can get in the way of high-quality care, so it’s critical that providers find creative ways to support their staff. That includes Getting Ahead in the Workplace classes, in which staff are paid to attend, specialized loans that help staff save money, and success coaches. These efforts were the topic of the 13abc’s Bridges with Doni Miller show. Guests Carrie Arnold and Gena Collier – both from Sunshine – said the commitment isn’t easy from either employer or staff, but it’s crucial. “You can’t afford not to invest in your employees,” Arnold said. Watch the half-hour show here
4. Sensory Room February schedule is released
Click here for the February schedule of the free Sensory Room Community Resource.
5. Former Board of DD member Mary Girgis-Hanna dies
A former member of the Lucas County Board of DD has died. Mary Girgis-Hanna was appointed by the County Commissioners and served in 1997 and 1998. She was the parent of an employee at Lott Industries and had been an active member of the Parent and Advocate Advisory Council. You may read her obituary from The Blade here.
6. ADAI to host “Pasta for Pooches” Fundraiser
Tina Calhoun, Foster Program Coordinator at Assistance Dogs for Achieving Independence (ADAI), will host Pasta for Pooches 7.0 on Saturday, March 23, at St. Michael Lutheran Church in Ottawa Lake, Michigan. The annual fundraiser supports ADAI, a program of The Ability Center that trains and places service and therapy dogs for children and adults with disabilities. Money raised will fund training for dogs throughout their two year journey to become assistance dogs.
“I started Pasta For Pooches as our pay-it-forward after my Dad received his service dog, Quincy, in 2012. I was thinking this would be a one-time event and let the next person take the reins, but it was very well received and friends suggested I do it again. Here we are year seven and have raised almost $70,000 for ADAI,” shares Tina Calhoun.
If interested in volunteering or donating, please contact Tina Calhoun.
7. Developmental checklists are on the Board of DD website
Parents of very young children can take advantage of developmental checklists on the Board of DD website. The checklists follow a child’s development from birth through age 4.
8. Celebrate DD Awareness Month with the Cavaliers and The Arc of Ohio
If your organization would like to reserve a group section, contact the Cavaliers Account Representative Directly and mention you are with The Arc of Ohio: Derek Badt (216) 420-2750 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tickets start at just $22. Purchase your tickets here Tickets have been discounted and a portion of every ticket sold will benefit The Arc of Ohio.
9. Calamity Day Procedures
Should it be necessary to close Board facilities due to inclement weather the announcement will be posted in several areas.
- Check the Board’s Facebook Page or website.
- The Board will also send information via its mobile app. You can subscribe to the app through Google Play or the Apple App Store.
- Call the Board’s Weather Hotline at 419-380-4040
- The Board will also send closing information to the news media.
10. Emojis with disabilities – a step for inclusion
A dozen icons depicting the experiences of people with disabilities are coming to smartphones and other devices later this year. Read more.
11. Cheap and Chic Event to Benefit Zepf Center March 2
Who doesn’t love to shop and now you can shop till you drop on March 2nd from 10-4 at the Zepf Wellness Center, 2272 Collingwood. Eight local retailers including Ragazza, Sophia Lustig, Mode Elle, Vivian Kate, Bowinkles, Eden, Fiddlesticks, Meig and V Couture, will be on hand selling their beautiful chic designs for “cheap money” all in support of the Zepf Center’s Don’t Skirt the Issue initiative in support of women’s recovery housing.
“Zepf Center is pleased to host this annual event in support of women in recovery,” said Deb Flores, CEO of the Zepf Center.
12. Upcoming events for the Developmental Disabilities community
February 21 – People First
February 21 – Guys Group
February 24 – CommUNITY Film Fest
March 1 – Glass City Beer Fest
March 3 – Acoustics for Autism
March 19 – Summer Camp Inclusion Resource Fair
March 27 – Rec Jam
13. Worth Repeating
“I always tried to do the best. I knew I couldn’t always be the best, but I tried to be.” Frank Robinson
Please share the Friday Update with others you know who have an interest in our DD community.